Church custodian – Custodian needed for historic St. Matthew’s United Church, 1479 Barrington St., Halifax. Hours: 30 hrs/wk including Sunday mornings. Salary $15.20/hour. Successful candidate will be experienced, self-motivated, and able to work independently with minimal supervision. Candidates selected for an interview will be expected to provide references. Contact email@example.com
Church Custodian Job Description
The Custodian is responsible for maintaining the buildings and grounds of St. Matthew’s United Church so that the facility is clean and in working order at all times. This includes performing custodial/cleaning duties; minor maintenance and repairs; set-up for various functions; exterior maintenance; and related other duties.
Checklists of specific tasks and duties will be provided to the Custodian. The Custodian and Church Administrator (Supervisor) will review the checklists regularly and make any necessary amendments. The following is an overview of the primary responsibilities of this position.
- Clean and care for all areas of the buildings so they are maintained in a safe, healthy manner
- Dust and clean all surfaces, furniture, baseboards, windows, window sills
- Mop and wash all exposed floors
- Vacuum all carpeted areas, including stairs and offices
- Clean and disinfect washrooms
- Remove and dispose of all garbage and recycling
- Replenish all disposable supplies
- Pest control as needed
- Prepare St. Matthew’s church and hall for authorized uses
- Set up the Sanctuary and Lower Hall for Sunday services and post-church activities
- Clear furniture in the Sanctuary and Lower Hall after the Sunday service
- Set up any area of St. Matthew’s for special functions, external events, or other activities as directed by the Church Administrator, Minister, and.or Minister of Music
- Exterior maintenance
- Clean up garbage on the church property and sidewalk
- Mow lawns, control weeds in season
- Shovel snow, salt icy areas and stairs
- Update lawn sign
- Minor maintenance and repairs
- Complete minor repairs and preventative maintenance
- Identify small projects and improvements, to be completed as time permits
- Report maintenance issues requiring action by the Property Committee as soon as potential problems are identified
- Report repair concerns to the Church Administrator or Property Chair
- Order and replenish disposable supplies and paper products
- Order and replenish cleaning supplies
- Weekly laundry
- Store all cleaning materials, equipment, and tools in a safe, orderly manner
- Participate in staff meetings
- Assist with deliveries
- Physical demands include but are not limited to: standing, walking, climbing, bending, kneeling to clean floors and baseboards by hand, lifting and moving furniture and furnishings (g., tables, chairs, organ console, piano, Sanctuary fittings).
- Interior work includes but is not limited to: operating a vacuum cleaner, floor polisher, and using other equipment such as mops, pails, ladders, small hand or power tools, etc.
- The Custodian will work safely with various liquids, powders, sprays, soaps, and other cleaning supplies.
- Exterior work includes shovelling, mowing, weeding, garbage pick-up and disposal.
- There may be some on-call work (g., snow removal or preparing for short-notice events such as funerals).
Knowledge and skills
- Physical ability to meet the working conditions outlined above
- Self-motivation and ability to perform routine duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to use basic hand tools to make minor repairs
- Personal attributes: dependability, flexiblity, initiative, service-oriented
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Church Administrator, Minister, Minister of Music, the Property Chair, and the Board of Stewards
- Good oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate using email/text and cellphone
- Ability to represent the church in a pleasant, suitably groomed manner to the congregation, facility users, contractors, suppliers, and others
- High school diploma, General Education Development (GED), or equivalent knowledge and experience
- General safety and WHMIS training an asset
- Criminal Record Check and Nova Scotia Child Abuse Registry Check required