• St. Matthew’s Calendar
• Please keep in your prayers …
• Thank you to …
• Congratulations to …
• Annual reports due Sept. 3
• All are welcome to visit, to sing …
• If you missed Sunday
• In the Community
St. Matthew’s Calendar
Office Hours Tuesday to Thursday, 8 am to noon
Sat. Sept. 3 Annual Reports Due!
Sun. Sept. 4 Worship at 10:30 am
Sun. Sept. 11 Final Q&A discussion about Remits (structural changes to the
United Church of Canada), after church
Sun. Sept. 18 Quarterly meetings of Session, Stewards, Official Board
Sun. Sept. 25 Voting on Remits, after church
Please keep in your prayers …
• Connie Rusk, whose mother, Irene, of Bedford/St. Vincent’s Guest Home, died Aug. 25 in Halifax. Funeral services were held on Aug. 27 at Cruikshank’s Funeral Home.
• The family of the late William E. (Bill) MacLennan, especially his daughter Dale MacLennan of our congregation, and daughter Donna Salter. Funeral services were held on Aug. 27 for Bill, who was a beloved pillar of St. Matthew’s. Bill was Sunday School Superintendent in the 1950s and 1960s, and over subsequent decades he was chair of the Board of Stewards and the 250th anniversary planning committee. He was also the church archivist for many years and a custodian of many anecdotes from our rich history.
The condolences of the congregation are extended to Dale and Connie and their families in their time of loss.
Thank you to …
• All who led services and preached during the summer season! Special thanks to Gayle Reiner, Chair of Worship and Music, for making all the arrangements on our behalf.
• Wayne Rogers for overseeing SummerSounds@Barrington concert series. The final concert was held on Aug. 30 and the entire season was very successful. Also thanks to the Downtown Business Association for their financial support.
Congratulations to …
Margaret Fay and husband Graham, who welcomed their new son Jasper Alexander on July 21 –a new baby cousin for Aidan, Avery, and Henry Culligan, nephew for Anne Fay, and grandson for Marg Machum and Don Fay.
Annual Reports due Sept. 3
Committee chairs are reminded that year-end reports are due by Sept. 3. Please submit to Dora at the church office by email – firstname.lastname@example.org
All are welcome to visit, to sing …
St. Matthew’s welcomes tourists and visitors not only on Sunday mornings, but also daily Tuesdays to Saturdays. Tom Fraser, our church guide, is pleased to share the long history (267 years) of our congregation in Halifax.
St. Matthew’s invites anyone who likes to sing to join the Sunday Pick-Up Choir – just show up for rehearsal on Sunday at 9:45 am and enjoy!
If you missed last Sunday …
Prelude — Gavotte in Bb Major Thomas Arne and Aria in F Major Richard Lau
Reading — Luke 14:7-14
Anthem — Beautiful World Ed Robertson
Sermon — A Place at the Table
Postlude — Recessional In Classical Style Gordon Young
In the Community
Save the Date – 10th annual Brunswick Street Mission Breakfast will be held on Thurs. Oct. 13, 7:30 am, at the World Trade and Convention Centre. This year will feature real stories from real people who have been directly affected by the work of the Mission. Tickets $1,000 (table) or $100 each. Reserve by calling (902) 423-4605 or email email@example.com
Church office: firstname.lastname@example.org or (902) 423-9209
Pastoral care: Rev. Betsy Hogan, (902) 423-9209, email@example.com
Sunday Free Breakfast: 8 am – Want to volunteer? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday Worship: 10:30 am
Minister of Music: Wayne Rogers, (902) 429-1680, email@example.com
AcabellA Handbell Choir rehearsal: On Holiday
St. Matthew’s Choir rehearsal: On Holiday
Lunch Bunch Community Choir: On Holiday
On the web: www.stmatts.ns.ca
Enjoy St. Matthew’s United Church weekly bulletin. Contact the office to add
your email or to unsubscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org or (902) 423-9209